The Ashby Canal was completed in 1804 to serve the coalfield of South Derbyshire and North West Leicestershire. It ran from Bedworth, on the Coventry Canal to Moira, near Ashby de la Zouch, a distance of about 30 miles. The canal was moderately successful in the early years, being taken over by the Midland Railway in 1846. It suffered from mining subsidence during the first half of the 20th century, the northernmost section being closed in 1944. It was further closed to a point north of Snarestone by 1966, leaving the southern 22 miles fully navigable, managed by the Canal and River Trust. It is popular with boaters, is lock free, and is almost entirely rural, in contrast to its industrial origins.