it is a relic, this railway, a bit of ornamental scrollwork lifted from the pattern of yesterday and kept, as a memento..
Date: 07 January 19 — 30 December 19 | Report this event.
Entrance Price see website for tickets Per person
The Talyllyn Railway is the first preserved railway in the World, known affectionately as ‘The Railway with a Heart of Gold’. It was over 150 years ago, in 1865, that the line opened and in 1951 the Preservation Society was born to take over the Railway after the death of the owner Sir Haydn Jones. The heritage steam engines transport passengers from Tywyn, the coastal town on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park, to Nant Gwernol buried deep in the mountains above Abergynolwyn.
The journey itself crosses more than seven miles of spectacular scenery within sight of one of Britain’s highest mountains, Cadair Idris. The journey takes 55 minutes up the line from Tywyn through the ancient woodlands and meadows of the Fathew Valley. En route keep your eyes peeled for Red Kites, Cormorants, Barn Owl, Redstart, Peregrine Falcons, Wheatear, Linnet and Little Owl. The cosy covered and open carriages provide the best of comfort and views as you travel up the line.
On arrival at Abergynolwyn, Quarryman’s Caban serves lovely homemade treats, drinks and snacks and there are plenty of trails and walks to explore in this beautiful corner of the Snowdonia National Park.
The Talyllyn Railway is a registered Charity*, and all ticket income goes directly to the preservation and improvement of the railway and its infrastructure for the long-term benefit of visitors
- Single and return tickets are available between any stations
- Children under three years old travel for free
- Unaccompanied children (3-15) travel at half the adult fare
- Concessions available for Senior Citizens, Students, people with disabilities and their Carers
- Help us to preserve this historic railway and SAVE MONEY by choosing the Donation Fare – you make an additional voluntary donation of 10%, and in return we will give you a voucher worth 15% of the total amount paid, to spend in our cafés or gift shop. Please request a Basic Fare if you do not wish to pay by donation, but note that you will not receive a voucher.If you are a UK taxpayer you may be able to Gift Aid your donation, and the Government will give us an extra 25% at no cost to you.
Standard Adult Day Ticket£19.00 – Voucher £2.85Standard Concession Day Ticket£17.00 – Voucher £2.55Standard Child Ticket£3.00 – Voucher £0.50See webiste for full details